"Dark Angels White Cloud Black Sands"
Three Days / Two Nights
"… by the end of the four days, I had two pieces of writing that I'm really, really proud of. How did that happen? Some sort of dark magic on your parts. And I'd say that's the great thing about Dark Angels. You're learning by stealth, by osmosis. It's all about the people, the place, the food, the music and (of course) the wine."
Hone your writing and enrich your understanding of the power of language and storytelling against the backdrop of KareKare’s black sands and wild waves.
Over the three days we will go deeper into storytelling. It’s a fundamental Dark Angels belief that greater ease and skill in personal storytelling have a beneficial effect on the use of words in a business environment. So we run intertwined threads of writing exercises – one personal, one business.
An introductory session sets the scene with the lore and legends of Aotearoa woven through the workshop. You will draw on your life experience, knowledge of the business world, and inspiration from being in a secluded and astonishing setting. On the Saturday evening the tutors will read from their own work, the course culminates with students reading from the work they’ve created through the three days. The role of imaginative language, and the importance of stories and narrative writing to business writing are central to all Dark Angels courses.
The structure for the time is a simple storytelling structure, moving people from opening to exploring to resolving.
Along the way we ask people, through writing, to:
- Examine what is good and what could be improved in each other’s business writing
- Write a piece of fiction following a brief created by the workshop
- Start an autobiographical story
- Use an object to gain an alternative viewpoint
- Explore the spectacular local surroundings with fresh eyes
- Take metaphors deeper
- Write in another’s voice
- Work collaboratively on a project
- Tell story films
- Say more with less
- Apply mythological storytelling to a business situation
- Find creativity in constraints.
We love words and writing, and we want others to share that feeling. So our courses are full of the intensity and pleasure that come from a focus on using words positively – to express the emotions that the corporate/institutional world often suppresses.
The three day/two night Dark Angels course takes place at Auckland’s majestic west coast, KareKare. Two treasured writer’s residences will be your home for this course, with the backdrop of the black sands that were the location for land mark New Zealand film The Piano, now the place to premiere ‘Dark Angels White Cloud’.
All meals and refreshments (including New Zealand wines) are included. Please advise if you have dietary requirements on the registration tab.
$1950 +GST per person. Due to the one-on-one nature of Dark Angels courses, numbers are limited. Earlybird discount applies if you register before 8 January 2018: $1750 +GST
- Plenty of personal reflection and exercises. People have the time and space to discover some profound things about writing and communications.
- Communal meals. Eating together helps us to share what we’re learning and make new connections.
- Personal tutorial. Every writer has an opportunity to discuss their writing in private with one of the Dark Angels tutors.